Beaded Kamal Kadai - a mini tutorial

Tutorial time!!!
Couple of months back, I received a mail from Linda Chadwick regarding a variation of Kamal Kadai which her mom had done. While corresponding about the same, I'd told her that I'd try and post a tutorial on how to do this variation.For those who're unaware of Kamal Kadai aka Navar Kuttu aka Teneriffe ,here's the tutorial of the actual method.

Today's variation is slightly different from the original in that it uses beads and a slight change in the weaving method.Let us see how it goes.Click on the photographs for better view.

Step 1:


Here's the basic structure of the flower Iam going to stitch.
Step 2:



Add lines in a staggered manner to each petal. First draw the middle line from the tip of the petal to the base . Then add even number of lines to either side. Remember, the total number of divisions in each petal should be odd.

Step 3:
The base for weaving is being created here.Come up at the bottom of the petal and string the bead. Note that I've marked the hole through which the thread enters the bead as 'A'.

Step 4:


Go down according to the diagram made earlier and come up at a point close by.

Now, pass the needle through 'A' again and go down to tack down the bead. If you don't do this ,your bead will be running up and down the thread. You don't want that,do you?

Step 5 :
Complete the foundation. The beads should've been smaller. It would've looked a little more elegant.I didn't have smaller sized ones , so I 'adjusted' with these :) They are of poor quality,you can see that many are peeling off.I got them about 5 years back to try beading bottles.Still haven't attempted that, so here they are :)

Step 6 :



Start the weaving as in the original tutorial . Note that after a certain level, you've to skip the outer most foundation lines so as to give a step by step effect. Let me show you one more pic.
Have a look at the pic above.After weaving through the entire 7 lines in the petal for 7 or 8 times, I skipped the lines marked with red and continued the weaving through the middle 5 lines. Then I skipped the outer lines in that bunch ,weaved through remaining 3 lines and ended the weaving slightly below the top beads.
Here's the completed flower with the jumbo beads. To be frank, I don't like those beads there at all.If you're attempting this method,get some smaller beads.Small is always beautiful!!


This flower is infact stitched on a recycled cushion cover with the old dupatta. It looks like this now.
Iam wondering what to add on for the completed look. Some more jumbo beads here and there? Some flowers here and there? What do you think?I seem to be running short of ideas.
An undergrad guy has been coming to learn programming during the past few days.He was desperate as there is only one month left for the final exam and he has absolutely no idea what programming is.Iam trying my best to help him out.So my head is kind of stuffed with programming concepts now. This tutorial sprouted somewhere in the middle of all that.Hope you enjoyed it.

Ok then, I'll see you around,
Love,luck and sunshine,
Deepa

Comments

  1. Coming out of lurkdom Deepa to thank you for this tutorial! I have never seen this done before and I love it. Can't wait to try it! Would you mind if I printed your instructions off so I can refer to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this one with beads is fascinating.
    thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lovely! I will need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello deepa,
    A Good Variation.I did this work with sequins in a top for Aparna.It was a brass colour bead.But this concept never struck me to put it in the tip.Can you try with a contrast thread for the Spikes[?]'n'Beads?Beading well explained.This is a wonderful Patience weaving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful! I found you through a comment you made on Mary Anne's blog. I may just need to use this on one of my bead journal pieces. If you take a check out my blog in the next couple of days, you'll be able to see my latest addition. I can't take my photos today as it's too windy and dull.

    http://artfuldreamer[dot]blogspot[dot]com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited to try this after viewing the tutorial. Deepa, it's a wonderful thing you're doing! Thank you, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen this before, it looks really effective. Thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deepa,
    I sent a comment, but don't think it went through.
    I'm so excited to try your tutorial. It was wonderful of you to take the time to make this. Mother would have been so pleased.
    Thanks! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi deepa
    This is just beautiful. Kamal kadai with beads is great idea.Would love to try it out.Many thanks for the tutorial and thanks for your encouraging comments on my blog.
    Looking forward to more beautiful tutorials from you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a beautiful design, Deepa! Thanks for the tutorial. I must try this sometime. You've made something detailed look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How pretty is this! I love the use of beads, the embroidery seems more precious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. very cute idea..... expecting more different ideas

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first time here and I am bowled over.. u have a great place here :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Deepa, I like the effect: it reminds me of cluny tatting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am tickled to death there is so much positive response to Mother's embroidery adaptation! I actually do like your larger beads as an alternative,especially on the pillow. The original designs were done on cotton tee shirts, and needed a smaller bead. You are definitely a creative, artistic lady. If I can stop knitting long enough, I'll try some of your other designs - I am partial to the shadow embroidery. Love to you, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Deepa,
    Nice and creative variation. This improvisation is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a wonderful design Deepa. I just love what the weaving creates and the beads are a lovely touch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hey deepa, lovely tutorial. you have certainly taken embroidery to the next level. I might give this a go. Don't know if you have finished you cushion by now, but what you could do to complete your cushion is either add some more of these motifs at the corner in a spray or maybe use different sized beads and heavier thread to make motifs of different sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful work Deepa.I will try this.Your tutorial is always wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. great one deepa,love this improvised version of kamal kadai

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful way to do a flower design! Will have to try this one day. Thank you for your clear, easy to understand tutorial. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this flower ... Is really a great detail and idea!! Congratulation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice one..Should try this idea somewhere..let me think of one

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Deepa,

    Thanks for your tutorial . Wonderful design. Beaded kadai kamal is a great idea.

    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gracias por compartir el tutorial de esta linda flor. Saludos desde México.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a lovely flower! I'd love to do it on a card as a lovely little present for someone.....Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  27. i just found your blog and this post is amazing! I am so excited, can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow..awesome Deepa. i think i missed while i was on holidays. lovely illustrated pictures...thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank goodness for your blog!!! this stitch has been at the tip of my tongue and I was asking my Mom too - finally found it :
    )

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh...my god.......this is soooooo
    beautiful.....

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks so much I love it. i will be putting this in my handwork.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Have only just come across your post and am so glad I did. This is just beautiful. I have been looking for something different to try and this is it. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Regards.
    http://www.pinterest.com/ferntreecreek/embriodery-stuff/

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very beautiful, i definitely try this.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Deepa, this tutorial is widely copied on youtube.Some people don't have ideas of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for your concern anon.I can't stop copycats, so I have stopped posting tutorials.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment