Please Note

All the content in this blog, both text and photos are mine, unless specified. Please do not copy, re publish, alter pictures from this blog for commercial purposes. If you're using my pictures or tutorials,please link back and give credit.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Colonial Knots and Fishbone stitch




I'm in the learning mode again.This time it's a stitch called Colonial knot. While looking up for French knots, I'd come across this stitch.


Here I've tried to recreate a grape hyacinth .
If you are wondering about the looks of the flower,let me clarify something-the actual flower is really very pretty .Now you know who's to be blamed :)
The flower,obviously, is done up with innumerous colonial knots and the leaves (unfortunately,a bit oversized) with the fishbone stitch - all with anchor cotton threads. I think, this could be categorized as Brazilian Embroidery. If french knots can be ,why can't colonial knots ? And there is a variation called Raised Fishbone stitch which will give the dimension effect to the leaves.I'll just have draw it a little more daintily and restitch with Edmar threads.What 's your opinion ?

1 comment:

Vidya said...

Hi Deepa,

What a pretty craft ! Your work seems to inspire me to try embroidery atleast once.

-Vidya