Tulip Stitch


Often while searching around the net for embroidery stitches, I come across stitches which are not commonly used.Many a times I just bookmark the page and leave it for later reference .Of late a teeny weeny idea has been taking shape in my mind-why not document it as I come across -like some of you do.And guess what?? I've started it!! -unlike all my earlier ideas which do sprout :) in my head but never grow.And I've decided to call this effort of mine ROSE - Recording Old Stitches in Embroidery . The stitches may not be that old,but I like the name :)

The first stitch that goes into ROSE is Tulip Stitch. I had never heard of it before,but when I saw it I was surprised-it was just a variation of detached chain.Many of you might have attempted it while trying variations of detached chain.

How to ...

Stitch a lazy daisy first .Then come up on one side and pass the needle through the tacking stitch of lazy daisy and go down at the other end.

Some attempts...

Iam not trying to create any beautiful embroidered piece.Iam trying to learn and to put the stitches down in one place for quick reference.So don't expect any perfection in the work done.





The actual Tulip stitch

Attempted in multiple colors.By the way, if you extend the loop part a little more you get the Berry Stitch which is also called the double detached chain (purple and green bud above)

Some variations.

A rather shabby attempt
nah..I didn't like it at all...
If any of you would like to join me in discovering old and uncommon stitches please leave a comment.When you try a new stitch do link back to me and let me know so that I too can try it out.Let us make it an enriching process!!!

Comments

  1. Nice thought Deepa and all the best to ROSE.

    regards
    anitha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy reading your blog, it's my resource for stitch ideas. (I'm not that experienced, but your blog is good inspiration.) As you find new stitches or sites, have you thought of bookmarking them on delicious.com? It's free and you can set it up so your links are shared with others, or people can subscribe to your links, etc. It's another way to share. No matter what, thank you for your research, I enjoy your examples greatly.
    :) Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Anitha...
    And no, I didn't know that Colleen.Thanks a lot for that info.Let me try it out.
    Regards,
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats a really good idea ...
    i am new to embroidery so i like going through your tutorials which are good
    all the best in your endevour..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of ROSE, Deepa. I tend to stick with the outline or stem stitch in most everything I do and I need to branch out a little. I was considering doing a sampler of stitches in horizontal lines on some fabric for practice and for a reference but haven't done it yet. I like the stitches you're showing on your blog so I should plan to include them too. Ok, I am moving this project closer to the top of my to-do list. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deepa,

    Could you please tell me whihc thread u using for emboridery..
    All ur work is very nice..

    Thanks in advance,
    Mitu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mitu,
    I usually use anchor perle cotton threads (sizes 3,5,8) or ordinary anchor cotton emb threads.For heavy stitches perle cotton or even cone threads would be nice.

    Regds,
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your variations are really nice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment