Please Note

All the content in this blog, both text and photos are mine, unless specified. Please do not copy, re publish, alter pictures from this blog for commercial purposes. If you're using my pictures or tutorials,please link back and give credit.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Embroidery pattern- from a magazine published in 1885

This is a picture I came across while searching for old magazines in Google.It immediately called out to me.. 'don't I look good enough for embroidery? Come on!! copy me, Iam available ' .So here it is. You can click on the image and save it.There are no copyright issues,since it is from Project Gutenberg.Infact the magazine from which I got this doesn't even mention the word Embroidery.But it looks good enough,doesn't it? And in case you are still curious about the source of this pic,click here .

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

African Violets-BE,restitched and the pattern


Here's the restitched version of African Violets.I used Edmar Lola for the flowers and Anchor perle cotton for leaves.Much better than the cotton version ,don't you think?Still a lot of room for improvement,though. The Bullions are a little curly,maybe I should have reduced the number of wraps.When its a bunch of flowers,the petals get all twisted and overlapped.So,I guess this looks ok. (Iam trying to pacify myself ) .Again,Edmar threads for leaves would've given a better effect.


Here's the sketch I used for stitching.Not a great pattern,but this is my first.If anyone likes to try it out in the same way or using a different stitch, you're welcome.Do link back to this post if you do.There are three flowers,two full and one half.Leaves are oval in shape.The flowers in the sketch are actually bigger than what I stitched.Smaller size looks better.


African Violets-Brazilian Embroidery,attempting with Anchor Perle cotton




I've wanted to create a few samplers of BE stitches and the various flowers for quite some time.But it was getting postponed for some reason or the other. Also somewhere in the back of my mind was the desire to do something on my own rather than follow instructions that come along with kits.And on top of all this, I wanted to try doing BE with the Anchor perle cotton threads .Edmar not being available in India,this was what a few of my country mates had suggested.

Coming to the above pic,I've hurriedly fulfilled all 'wants' of mine .The design is called 'African Violets' and it is done in Bullions(aargh!!) French knots and a combination of alternate satin stitch and satin stitch.The threads are Anchor perle Cotton.And let me tell you,after working with Edmar threads,these seem to be err...umm..Iam not getting any words to describe..



Just for comparison,see this pic of Japanese violets done in Edmar.

The conclusion..better off with Edmar than anything else.I am going to order a new bunch soon.
As far as the design is concerned, its a very simple one and can be used to learn Bullions(which Iam still messing up,as you can see in the pic).
The embroidery was also done in a bit of a hurry,so it lacks finesse.May be I should attempt it 'slowly' once again.


Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year

May there always be work for your hands to do.
May your purse always hold a coin or two.
May the sun always shine on your window pane.
May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain.
May the hand of a friend always be near you.
May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.

Happy New Year !!!