Please Note

All the content in this blog, both text and photos are mine, unless specified. Please do not copy, re publish, alter pictures from this blog for commercial purposes. If you're using my pictures or tutorials,please link back and give credit.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Back to basics-outlining techniques-Part 1

Why back to basics?

After numerous bullions,castons,filling and padding techniques of BE, I needed something simple and so I started working on outline methods.

The idea was to fill a plain pillowcase with only outlined flowers thus consolidating all the outlining techniques in one.

I started off with the most common method - Stem stitch. I free handed a pattern from Mary Corbet's Needle'n thread and stem stitched its outline. This stitch is one of the easiest ones to learn ; the only stumbling block is sharp curves - well, in that case concentrate on your embroidery more rather than the TV ;) and take small stitches. In the flower below, I preferred ending the stemstitch at the sharp tips and starting again.
Tip :
Always keep the thread to the left of the stitching line. Take small stitches at the curves.


If you've noticed, the petal on the top right seems slightly disfigured - I tried to change the shape of the petal in between and messed up.

Then I did the next method - outline stitch. Isn't the choice obvious?
Not much problem here,except for the fact that I'd to remind myself that I was doing outline and not stem.

Tip :
Always keep the thread to the right of the stitching line. Take small stitches at the curves.

The third pic is a combination of both outline and stem - bigger petals are in stem and the small petals at the back are in outline.I used up all the bits and pieces of threads leftover - hence the multiple colors.When I started off (blue thread) I tried going around the tips with small stitches,but the tip of the petal became blunt. Then I tried ending the line of stitch at the tip and started off again to the other side.It worked fine.

Thus ends the stem stitch/outline stitch saga.Will tell you the other methods I used in my next few posts.

2 comments:

Make the Impossible...Possible said...

I'm going to follow this thread seiously....thanks

nancie said...

Deepa,,can u help me to find the differences between stem and outilne???