Thursday, July 16, 2015

Embroidery inspirations from history

Hi everyone!!

It's mid and half months since the schools reopened - the usual routine of alarms ringing, packing lunch/snack boxes, rushing to catch the school bus and above all, tests,activities, home work - all these have reclaimed their rightful place in our lives.

The time is 8.45 and I've just cleared up the remnants of the morning "hungama"  (commotion) and enjoying a hot cup of tea. I've been planning on writing this post for a few weeks,but kept postponing.Now is the time!!!

During the summer vacations, we happened to tour Pune,Shirdi and Aurangabad. It was not a planned tour,it just happened because of a surprise invite by my DH's uncle and aunt who live in Pune. One of DH's cousins and her family were visiting them and they invited us to join them.

A visit to Aurangabad is not complete without "Bibi ka Maqbara"(Tomb of the Lady). This monument was commissioned by Mughal Emperor Aurangazeb in his wife's memory after her death in 1657. It bears a striking resemblance to the Taj Mahal and is also known as the Taj of the Deccan.

People say that it is a cheap copy of the Taj Mahal - but the moment my eyes fell on it - I was floored.

Bibi Ka Maqbara

And then we went closer, and I saw this...

 and this...
Beautiful,isn't it?
 Here's a close up of the rose.

 and this....

All I could think of was how these would look when embroidered? In fact, these carvings did remind me of some style - Crewel embroidery,perhaps? We could see such carvings all around. The place is truly a treat for  history lovers and artists.

And then when we went inside- there she was,resting in peace - "Dilras Banu Begum" - that was her name- the wife of one of the most powerful & controversial Mughal Emperors of India.

We stood there, for a few moments, in silence and in awe. Then, it was time to leave...

Love,luck and sunshine,

Friday, June 19, 2015

Finally...the anchor kit is finished...phew!!!

Hello everyone,

I have done it...I have a finish!!!

I had promised myself that I would finish the long pending Anchor embroidery kit one way or the other. I just had to have perseverance and the willpower to take up stitching in the little amount of time I get . And I managed it...phew, double,triple phew!!! :)

Here are the pics. You can click on them for better view.

I am happy with the colors I chose and happy again that I did not go with the original colors.

This is the other side of the doily. I opted for a different combination again ..heh,heh..

And here is the full view of the doily.

Yes,I know... it needs to be washed and the sides have to be sewn up. It'll more postponing.

I'll now move on to another UFO which has been languishing for years. It is time to free its soul :)

Till next post...

Love, luck and sunshine,

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Buttonhole stitch variation- A mini tutorial

Hello everyone,

Hope everything is fine in your little world.

Today's post is a quick one just meant to show you a variation of buttonhole stitch. This stitch is not my creation. It was in fact  demonstrated by a fellow blogger,Lakshmi, long time back.

Since the tutorial has been taken off and a few in the hand embroidery group on FB were searching for it, I decided to post a "how to" for the same.

In the original tutorial the stitch was named as shaded buttonhole stitch - but I beg to differ - I believe that a stitch is a "shaded variation" only  if  I as an embroiderer contribute in the shading - but in this case, the shading is entirely because of the usage of the variegated thread and we have no control over it. Let us see some pics...

Two flowers with buttonhole stitch.

Yeah, I know the embroidery is poor and photographs too..this post will remind me

1) not to walk around and stitch especially when your child is behind you asking you to play with her
2) not to stitch in a hurry
3) not to use mobile for clicking pics  and
4) use a tightly woven cloth,especially for buttonhole stitch  [embarrassed smile]

Anyway, did you notice any difference? You can click on the pic for a better view. The left is normal buttonhole stitch and the right is the backless buttonhole. If you observe carefully, you can see that for the right hand side flower, between the normal buttonhole stitches there's an extra stitch coming in.That's the catch!!!

If you're not convinced,I'll show you the reverse side. Here it is...

Now let me show you how it is done. Again apologies for the poor pics. Lesson learnt - What looks good in mobile,may not turn out to be so in real.

Here's the normal method...
 In the normal method, you have to go down at A and come up at B to complete the stitch.

In the backless buttonhole , there's a little bit extra up and down involved.  Down at A,up at B,down at C and up at D. The AB and CD stitches should be kept small. Click on the pic for a better view. When this method is used with two strands of variegated silk thread, you get a shaded effect.

I hope the method is clear. Do try it out and let me know your thoughts on this variation of buttonhole stitch.

Love,luck and sunshine,